This last weekend I set up my timelapse of roots growing. A week ago I planted a shoot of mint in a glass container. They are known for growing pretty fast so hopefully will be a good choice. I made sure that they grew along the side of the container by sectioning off one half of it and putting in complete darkness.
A few days later roots started to grow and I decided to make a place to photograph it. The roots have to be in darkness because the roots grow away from the light, so I built this out of curtain black out lining and a lot of safety pins. There is a hole for the lens and the flash and a timer is taking a photo every 10mins.
The results are looking good so far and will hopefully carry on!
So on the way back from my 3rd trip to B&Q in 2 days, I spotted a huge pile of frogspawn in a muddy and almost dried out puddle.
I took a sample and have set up a timelapse on it overnight. I doubt it will do much in these early days, but I want to capture the growth from right at the beginning. Here's the camera set up;
On the lightbulb front, I've made headway at last! I found a suitable fitting and with the use of a timer I can have it on fixed time settings and fingers crossed it will not overheat! (Many thanks to the technicians and the Campus Electrician) I'll be setting up the rest of the timelapses which needed the daylight bulb in the next few days.
So today saw the planting up of the snowdrops and the setting up an overnight trial run, mainly to work out interval times and also to see if the flash batteries will last for that long!
I'm struggling with my lighting at the moment. The room where I am has no natural light which is a blessing as I have complete control over the lighting, but not such good news for the plants. My zoology housemate managed to procure a uv lightbulb from her biology lecturer, however it is from an age where 160watt light fittings were available thus I spent the afternoon fruitlessly wandering round various electical suppliers trying not to look like a grow-your-own weed smoking student. I'm still searching, so if anyone has any electrical wisdom they could pass on I would be very grateful!
So new semester kicks off with a new project. I am looking at seasonal change from winter to spring and as part of this I'm going to be doing studio timelaspses of growth. I will be shooting all your archetypal spring plants; bluebells, snowdrops, primroses, lily of the valley, cyclamen, as well as looking a root growth, and hopefully frogspawn.
Here is the full kit I'm going to use (apologies for the ugly carpert!). So for the next 4 weeks I'm going to have 3 setups running at any one time so as to get as much footage as I can.
I'll be posting new updates and works in progress as the term goes on!